Monday, March 3, 2008

Swatching for a summer baby blanket.

A new baby is on the way, and so the hooks go flashing, trying out pretty patterns to make a summer blanket for a pretty new little girl. I have until June to finish the task, but my fingers were itching to try out the beautiful bamboo yarn that was chosen. The yarn is Twize by The Southwest Trading Company, in the colorway Twink and is made of 100% bamboo. I know it isn't the most practical for washability, but the parents are pulling out all the stops for organic bedding, bamboo sheets, bleach free diapers... So, I get to play with some yummy yarn. Yay!

Unfortunately, I had forgotten how heavy bamboo yarn can be, so I've been swatching, swatching, swatching to find the right balance of lacyness and substance to make an heirloom that doesn't break the bank.


This was my first swatch. I love it. I started it. I put it on the scale, and it would take about 8 skeins to do it properly. NO way! I've got 5 skeins, and I'm sticking to it. But I do love the pattern, and I'm sure I'll find a place for it some day...



This is the second chioce so far, and on the scale it fits the bill. Plus, I like getting the chance to try out a strawberry pattern. But I need to take it to the drawing board and make the starting side and the finishing side balance. The pattern ends with half a strawberry, which just kills me. Plus, I'll need to figure out how to finish off the top to square it off, or I'll need to start in the middle, and work to opposite ends.
Alas, it's back to the hooks for me, so I don't stumble blindly into this project like I have so many before.

No comments: